Thursday, June 18, 2009

So True

A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment.

This is one Jane Austen quotation that has always stuck with me perhaps because it's so true. I know my mind jumps quickly. I meet a man; I think I like him and then I start to imagine. The thing is the imagination is always better than the real thing. Recently I have met several men and thought that maybe something could work out and yet the more I get to know them the less I think of them.

Maybe that's what we learn from Pride & Prejudice. First impressions are rarely accurate. Although in Lizzie and Darcy's case they find each other repulsive and then realize they were wrong. I think that's what I need. I need to Lizzie Darcy first impression instead of the ones that I'm starting with. Ha!

Although I guess I'm in good company. In my formal life I was single and did well for myself although I feel I was lonely then. Perhaps this time around things will turn out better.

1 comment:

  1. Yes! Never say never! Then...If my personal story can help you to see things differently, when I first met my husband I felt terribly in danger because I felt, I know, he was the real thing and I was going to be caught!!! I was definitely right: I had resisted any "temptation" to engage myself till the age of 21 and as soon as I met him I was lost, well, my freedom was. By the way, he says it was the same for him! First we became very good friends, let's say for 3 or 4 months but then... So, you see ... not all the stories start like Lizzie and Darcy's one. Their love story has gone on for centuries, mine with my hubby for decades not bad, isn't it. Don't bother how ot starts. When you meet HIM, you'll recognize him! Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete