Saturday, March 7, 2009

Time Traveling Jane Austen

A few years ago I came across a book called "The Man Who Loved Jane Austen". I thought "hmmm.....I don't remember that." So I picked it up. It's a great story. There's a little of my life and little of Pride & Prejudice mixed in. Normally I don't like it when Regency novels have time travel or modern novels have people travel back to Regency times. I realize part of time travel is not knowing your surroundings and making faux pas, but I just don't like it. I haven't really read a good one. If you know of a good Regency Time Travel novel, let me know. This does not mean I'm against all time travel. I happen to love Connie Willis' To Say Nothing of the Dog. I also enjoyed I Went to Vassar for This? The Man Who Loved Jane Austen is about a woman who finds my desk at an antique store. She buys it not knowing it's mine and then finds a letter addressed to me and one addressed to Fitzwilliam Darcy. She starts to search to see if there really was a Darcy and receives a reply from Fitzwilliam Darcy that the letter is for him. How can Darcy still be alive today? Surely this is a joke. The story goes to Virginia and a Regency themed ball and a little bit of time travel. This is a really good book. The story is sweet and if you're will to suspend reality for a few hours I think you will really like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment